ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 11:36:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Get Liero 1.34b and Liero 1.33 at www.liero.be - the official Liero site
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  ComSer General
| |-+  Dr. Darka's Linux Centre
| | |-+  My Linux is still f00ked so I can't try myself
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Linux is still f00ked so I can't try myself  (Read 3550 times)
darka
Cancelled
Linux Guru
Veteran Member

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:38:56 AM »

My Linux is still f00ked so I can't try myself Sad
Maybe we can fix it Smiley
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 08:07:11 PM by Wei Zhi Hui » Logged
ZanderZ
Creator of BadFellas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 06:14:49 PM »

Smiley I doubt it, but feel free to help me:
I installed SuSE Linux 9.2, but it didn't properly detect my videocard (ATI Radeon 9600) so I went to the ATI site and wanted to download the Catalyst drivers. There were three versions, depending on which xFree86 version I had. Ofcourse I had no idea which to choose, but there was a .sh script to find that out.
I downloaded and ran the script, it said I didn't have xFree86 installed. So I downloaded a xFree86 install script and ran it.
I rebooted my computer and behold: I couldn't get into graphic mode (KDE) anymore Sad
I asked on a Dutch computer forum. First reply: "SuSE doesn't use xFree86, but x.org"
Fuck.
Using YaST in textmode I deinstalled xFree86 and installed x.org, had to download the kernel source and recompile it and some other stuff, then I got a little bit further: I now got a graphic mode with 3 green/blue screens: xsm, TWM Icon Manager and Xterm.
However, that was all I could do. I couldn't start any program, all I could do was reboot. I then got a link to the ATI drivers from SuSE themselves. There were a lot of steps, and I could finish them all, because near the end I have to be in runlevel 3, but no matter what I try, I can't get into runlevel 3. It stays in runlevel 5.
I'm getting the install DVD this weekend, so I can then reinstall it, but this is the complete story why I can't use Linux at the moment...
I then have to wait 6 weeks before my videocard gets back from ATI (the fan was broken) so I might have to install Geforce drivers first (older videocard I'm using now) until then. From what I've heard, Geforce has better Linux drivers so I should be fine the following few weeks Smiley

darka
Cancelled
Linux Guru
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:42:02 AM »

Well, you are on TWM, a very simple window manager that comes with Xorg/XFree86. You can probably enter any command in the xterms (like "konqueror" (though you may need to run "kdeinit" first) or "yast" (dunno about yast, never used SUSE)).
How do you login, using some graphical utility (kdm?) or console and then startx?
And why did you install the XFree86 driver if it said you don't have XFree86? Tongue

Anyway, I should also recommend UBUNTU http://www.ubuntulinux.org/  It's possibly much better than SUSE just because it doesn't hide everything from the user, but still gives him plenty of graphical tools to manage the system. Installing the ATI driver is much simpler on it too, just don't do it the ATI way Wink And it's free, of course.
ZanderZ
Creator of BadFellas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:19:13 PM »

Sorry :X won't happen again (except for this post)
Thanks darka, I'll try that. And I don't log in, it gets there without asking for a username/password

Wei Zhi Hui
aka. ulv
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 06:59:55 AM »

is this on topic? Tongue maybe we should add a Linux forum for darka. Like.. "Doktor Darka Fixes Your Linux forum"

ComSer Admin
darka
Cancelled
Linux Guru
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »

I don't mind really.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: