ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 12:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Visit us on IRC
irc.quakenet.org
#liero
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos News
| | |-+  Gusanos .9 Development Update # 2
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gusanos .9 Development Update # 2  (Read 55520 times)
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2005, 06:57:42 AM »

Basara, did you tried N game?

There is also a forum where rigid body implementation is explained quite well.... (for Flash; still I think that you can learn sth from that).
Yes, I tried it Smiley However my main problem with rigid bodies will probably be the collision with a bitmap.

how about...
....the possibility to change the graphic of every single gun?
....the possibility to make objects bounce of rocks, but not of dirt?
Both are quite possible to be supported.
Jerac

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2005, 07:20:34 PM »

Can I have a little suggestion?

If added_a_feature=1 then
  time_to_release:=time_to_release + 1;
end if;

If feature_count=infinity then
  time_to_release:=float'last;
end if;

So. If. There. Will. Be. Countless. Features. Gusanos0.9. Won't. Be. Ever. Released. And. That. Will. Be. Much. Worse. Than. Releasing. Gusanos0.9. With. Less. Than. Infinite. Number. Of. Features.

Smiley

BGABTMABNCP!!
ZanderZ
Creator of BadFellas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2005, 09:21:11 PM »

Inderdaad to that! How about releasing a pre-alpha (binary!) release?

basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2005, 02:24:10 AM »

Well.. oobviously the feature number wont be infinity, but most features are easy to do. Once the main part of the engine is complete I will go into feature adding berserk mode and add lots of features Cheesy
Bmud

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2005, 05:11:21 AM »

Yes, I tried it Smiley However my main problem with rigid bodies will probably be the collision with a bitmap.

Kai's Super Eagle filter does stuff like edge detection just fine. And as aforementioned, Gish does noting but draw lines around the shapes and use those for collisions. So, I would opt for something similar to HTML hyperlink polygon stuff. If a map maker wants collisions, the points for edges can just be mapped out as polygonal lines within the CFG file. Objects would be handles similarly, and recieve a

center_of_mass
mass
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2005, 07:26:45 AM »

Yes, I thought about giving mappers a vectorial layer for the map but dirt becomes a problem since it will lose its shape duiring the game.
btw, are you sure about gish? I was quite sure that levels where vectorials and that objects where made of constraned vertexes Shocked
Bmud

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2005, 08:26:37 AM »

Okay, yes, Gish levels have vectorial-defined tiles. A bitmap, and the points. The same applies to objects. The constraints, on things like seesaws, too, are just vectorial point data.

As for handling dirt, as I was trying to explain before... Kai's super engine image filter makes your low-res graphics look good by doing *edge detection* on the fly.

So, you have the data already about how a worm should colide with the environment -- including dirt. So all you need is an algorithm to convert that raster data into some vector data *on the fly*.

Here's what IEEE's Computer Graphics magazine from November/December 2002 has to say about tracking corners:
umm... holy poop. Let's not get into that. This is... math for detecting subpixel corners from realtime webcam streams for motion tracking. O_O cool, but hard, and here it's pretty useless.

Let's think more practically... namely, some autotracing apps like http://autotrace.sourceforge.net and http://potrace.sourceforge.net

ps, isn't there some sort of angle detection already going on when a weapon colides with a surface to see which way it should bounce?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 01:22:47 AM by Bmud » Logged
ctrlfrk
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2005, 07:51:10 PM »

would it not be okay to convert the entire bitmap level to a vertex based system when it loads? You may need to change the way explosions and stuff destroy dirt...

And although this has very little to do with a 2d game, fluids like this would be awfully cool:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~carlson/
O_o
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2005, 08:14:04 PM »

umm... I played gusanos 0.8 and I found it a cool game and I'd like to know if a date has been set for the next release.
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2005, 09:05:32 PM »

No there isnt a release day set yet
ZoMbIe828

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2005, 02:26:38 PM »

No there isnt a release day set yet
Exactly how long until the time of your "yet" passes?

releasedateplz
Wei Zhi Hui
aka. ulv
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2005, 06:25:42 PM »

i suppose basara doesnt code 24-7, so itll take time. What really matters is that there is progress made. Besides, as far as ive understood, its getting a bit closer since basara and Gliptic are playing some kind of test versions.

ComSer Admin
ChanibaL
Proud member of the Bug Gliptic And Basara To Make A Better Net Code People's Front (BGABTMABNCPF for short)

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2005, 10:30:23 AM »

About the liero2gus, it will also convert .lev liero levels to gusanos levels, right? It will be a nice feature but do it only as a one time stand alone converter, not a built in alternate level format. It looks like a small change but it should have a few important effects:
  • it'd make people more intrested to make the map worse better using the gusanos features
  • as in any project, less junk in gusanos would help keep the harmony of the universe
  • you'll have lots of 'fun' quoting the converting manual to people who can't/are too lazy to read them for themselves
  • the levels would propably load faster (nanoseconds save lives, you know)
Would the scripting allow things like stationary turrets or vehicles?
How about a possibility of damage being calculated from collision speed? It'd make some funny or realistic weapon mods. (for egsample the only weapons are low initial velocity big thrown stupid objects like sinks, chairs, monitors and stuff. Killing oponents would require very precise rope maneovers - that would be even nicer if the gish-like physics would work. About the realistic stuff, that is the actual way how most weapons damage the target)
Or perhaps weapons thrown in the original team17 worms way?
(sorry if it's just spam and it was allready implemented - i never played too much with gusanos and was too lazy to check)

|| Yes, I meant exactly that by the worms way, if it could be supported, then there could finaly be
|| TC close to worms  Grin
\/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:39:07 AM by ChanibaL » Logged
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2005, 11:00:47 AM »

it'd make people more intrested to make the map worse better using the gusanos features
This is a good reason so it will most likely be included.

as in any project, less junk in gusanos would help keep the harmony of the universe
Who wants harmony when you can have CHAOS!! Wink Gusanos .9 will load liero levels and other clones levels since its already done and working Tongue

Would the scripting allow things like stationary turrets or vehicles?
Turrets - Yes
Vehicles - Most likely not since they require physics and stuff that gusanos is probably not going to have ( at least not for .9 ).

How about a possibility of damage being calculated from collision speed?
Probably going to be supported.

Or perhaps weapons thrown in the original team17 worms way?
I am not sure if I understand this, if you mean the hold button to throw farther then I am not sure if it will or not be supported Tongue
patrys
the grim reaper

ph34r m3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2005, 04:09:12 PM »

How about "charging" as in doing the usual firerate and ammo computations but creating all the projectiles at once when the button is released? Kind of how rocket launcher worked in Unreal Tournament 1.

Patrys
Vermis Templari
The High Council of Seven
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: