ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2018, 07:41:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Registration of new members is disabled. Read the newspost.
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Development
| | |-+  Gusanos 0.8.x FAQ
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gusanos 0.8.x FAQ  (Read 7742 times)
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »

F.A.Q. List for Gusanos 0.8.X

Q: I cant run Gusanos full screen. why does this happen? Is there any way to solve this problem?

A: This happens because allegro and your card dont like each other in 320x240 resolution. The way to fix this problem is running gusanos passing -r in the command line. The easiest way is to create a .bat file ( or edit the one of a mod ) and add the command line option there. for example: "gusanos.exe -r"
You should also try downloading the latest drivers for your video card, that has also solved the problem for some people. (me)

Q: How do I change my keys?

A: You can change them ingame using the bind console command. However this will not save it for the next time you run gusanos, you can edit the file autoexec.cfg in the default folder to set your keys permanently.

Q: I made a map but the materials are working wierd, What can I have done wrong?

A: Gusanos materials are not defined by the colour of the bitmap, the material bitmaps are 8bit and the colour can change with a different pallete. What gusanos uses to differenciate materials is the INDEX of each pixel. Samuraj site has a nice tutorial on how to make a material image here.

Q: How do I join a network game?

A: First of all get the server's IP number ;) Then run gusanos with the mod the server is running and use the connect command. For example, if the server ip were 219.56.128.0 then the usage of the connect command would be this: "connect 219.56.128.0:9898". Note that gusanos WONT JOIN if you dont add :9898 right after the IP number.

Q: How can I host a gusanos network game?

A: Hosting a game is rather simple. Run gusanos with the mod you want to host, open the console and set the console variable named "HOST" to 1, after that change the level to the one you want to host.
Code:
HOST 1
MAP DM1

Q: Where can I get gusanos source?

A: All gusanos source is stored in the cvs repository, you can get it here: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gusanos/. You will also need the following libraries to be able to compile: http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/ http://www.zoidcom.com/ http://www.boost.org/ http://www.fmod.org/

Q: My mod starts crashing after I add more than 100 weapons.

A: Gusanos 0.8 had a limit of 100 weapons to any mod and if you add more than 100 it will crash, this limit is already removed in the version 0.9.

Q: Does gusanos 0.8 have bots?

A: The short answer is no. However, there was a non released gusanos binary that took control of the second player.

to be continued...

Gusanos Guides by Samuraj
Console Commands- Learn to command Gusanos.
Level Making- Learn how to make Gusanos levels.
Level Config Files- Learn to configure Gusanos levels through their cfg files.
Gusanos Materials- Find the materials avalible in Gusanos levels.
Gusanos & WinRAR- Learn to use WinRAR with Gusanos.
Gusanos Tree- Overview of the Gusanos filetree.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:38:59 PM by basara » Logged
ZanderZ
Creator of BadFellas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 03:58:51 PM »

About the first question: when running in 2xSAI engine, isn't the resolution 640x480 then? More videocards support that resolution. Perhaps that is a fix too, or not?

basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 07:44:24 AM »

well, to be able to run gusanos with the 2xSai filter you first have to run it with -r Tongue
ZanderZ
Creator of BadFellas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 11:25:29 AM »

Grin okay... as you know, I'm still a bit of a Gusanos-n00b...

Oick Eno

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 08:37:49 PM »

the links at the bottom don't work.  Sad
Wei Zhi Hui
aka. ulv
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 01:07:36 PM »

http://comser.liero.org.pl/samuraj/ without the www should be better. who made those links anyway?

ComSer Admin
IceMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »

Hey, I've been having a problem with splitscreen. I want to take it off and just have fullscreen, but I don't know how. I tried typing in the command splitscreen 1, but nothing happened.

Also, how can I add bots/AI to the game. I noticed on the Gusanos Lights video, Jonny just typed in addbot and it appeared...but I'm guessing it doesn't work that way with older versions[?]  Sad

If anyone can help me out with these problems, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
-IceMan

-Another thing, the screenshot I took looks aligned and all, but when I'm actually playing Gusanos, the screen is a bit shifted too far to the right creating a black bar on the left side...and the top seems to be too tall. -I can barely read the words. How can I adjust the screen size?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:55:52 AM by IceMan » Logged
MrEvil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »

to turn splitscreen off, you must type splitscreen 0. typing splitscreen 1 would turn splitscreen on. after that, you need to change map until the setting takes effect.

if addbot doesnt work in your version, then its too old Smiley wait for .9 to be released or join the #liero irc channel and beg for a beta version of .9 Smiley

if you screen is not aligned right, you have to align it using the keys on your monitor. gusanos runs in a quite low and today rarely used screen resolution. screen alignments are saved for each resolution seperately, probably you never used the gusanos resolution before...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:08:30 PM by MrEvil » Logged
Jonny
Jonny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 12:22:29 PM »

You need to be hosting to have splitscreen disabled. It sucks, but blame basara! Smiley

Its different in Gusanos .9
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »

two of the 3 answers MrEvil gave were wrong in some aspect ;O

To play without splitscreen in gusanos 0.8 you have to set splitscreen to 0 and after that you have to host/join a network game. The reason for this was that in gusanos 0.8 it would be useless to play without splitscreen if you are not connected to anyone. ( since there is no single player gamemode )

Gusanos 0.8 never had support for bots, there was a special exe that made the player 2 be controlled by the pc.. but it was very haxy and it wasnt released officially.

This two things are also very different in gusanos .9 in a better way ofcourse Wink
IceMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 04:38:33 PM »

Oooh! So that's it! Thanks a ton for the help, mates. Now I can't wait for .9 to be released.  Wink

*giggles with excitement*

-IceMan
MrEvil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 06:02:35 AM »

oops Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: