ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 01:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Registration of new members is disabled. Read the newspost.
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Development
| | |-+  Heya there, greets from OpenLieroX project
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heya there, greets from OpenLieroX project  (Read 59759 times)
Mauganra99
Looking for LieroX
Veteran Member

the antisheep

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »

As far as I know only two mods I made have been put online: Lightsaber Arena & Legion. Most sounds were based on sounds from other games, so that won't be exactly copyright free. A pirate is me!
As for some tech-stuff (CTF, water), they are copyrighted material-free

Lightsaber Arena:
Sounds:
Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC Game)
Star Wars I-VI (Movies)
Sprites:
Dark Forces I (PC Game) (hud_r.bmp & hud_l.bmp)

Legion
Sounds:
Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC Game)
Slave Zero (PC Game)
Rites of War (PC Game)
Sprites:
There are no sprites in this mod

Hi from another old LieroX guy from before the combo-time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:08:00 AM by Mauganra99 » Logged

"D
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »

Some progess in merging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d_Sxknqd3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwcH1n_2Pzs

(The speed of the second video is a bit strange at the first half. This is only the video capturing software.)

Some more technical notes, also some open for discussion: (Text copied from what I wrote in OLX-mailinglist.)

LX maps with Gus mods: Pixelflags needs either to be merged (in that
case get rid of old flags and use Gusanos flags) or write some small
on-the-fly-Gus-flags-creator when loading a LX map (second case may work
fine for now and means much less work).

Comboing: Gusanos people really hate that. When playing Gus in OLX, it
is anyway not supported because we use the original Gus input code right
now. I think it would be better in the end to have an option for this,
so you could also play LX without comboing - or Gus with comboing.

Ninjarope attached to worm is not supported by Gus. Add that and make it
optional, also for original LX? (Similar situation as comboing.)
(Ninjarope class is also seperated yet.)

Bots movement is buggy (probably the input wrapping code). Either more
merging or some more fixes there.

Weapons are independent. Things like weapon reselection are not working
because of that. Weapon selection is also handled fully by Gus (but
that's ok and should be like that because mods may handle that - some
mods may have fixed weapons, they also control the amount of weapons and
they also control the weapon selection itself, i.e. the menu).

Gus drawing is currently a bit slow. Perhaps some merging between the
sizefactor-code and Gus could make it faster, would also solve crashes
when using a sizefactor>1.

Gus worm drawing uses only the Gusanos worm skin, not the LX one.

LX mod with Gusanos map: The Gusanos drawing code is used in that case.
Worm drawing need to be fixed for that case, LX-ninjarope and projectile
Gus-drawing code need to be implemented. (Gus-drawing is different from
LX-drawing: everything scaled half.)

Sound playing code must reset the listener position when not using the
Gusanos sound playing functions. (Otherwise it just remembers the last
position and sound volume seems random.)

We also could enable the LX-3D-sound code now.

Still haven't done any network code for Gus.

Gusanos input is still active even when gameover-screen shows up or when
console is shown.

Gusanos map/mod loading is buggy in some cases. For example, once you
loaded a non-default mod and try to reload the default (Gus) mod, it
doesn't work and you still have the non-default mod. Seems it doesn't
unload the old stuff correctly. It seem to get slower and slower also,
so it really may not correctly free some resources. In some other cases
though, it seem to free some resources twice, i.e. it crashes because of
that. Also many related Gus errors on console.

Gusanos worms doesn't have lives (I think). As I anyway cannot
understand how anybody could set limited lives in a game, I don't really
care about this. And Gus will ignore the LX setting for limited lives
(except when you hit gameover because OLX still handles when the game is
over).

Gus has its own respawning function for worms. (Reason also why it
ignores LX-worm-lives.) They differ somewhat, not sure if it would be a
good idea to merge it with the LX-spawn-function (you easily may break
Gus mods if you change it).

In general: Don't change any Gus functions! Most of it can be called by
Gus scripts and if you change them, it will change how Gus mods behave,
maybe even totally break some Gus mods.

For each respawn in Gusanos, you need to hit the jump button to get back
into the game (similar to games like Quake3). Not sure if we should make
it configureable or change that. I kind of like that way more than the
LX-way.

Bots are to stupid yet to understand the primary/secondary weapon fire.
Right now, if bShoot==false -> bShoot==true, I was triggering a Gus
Fire-start-event and if bShoot==true -> bShoot==false, I was triggering
a Gus Fire-stop-event. This is wrong for a lot of Gusanos weapons where
you need to wait a while until the Fire-stop-event. (Just play a bit the
Doom mod or so and you will see what I mean.)

Gusanos supports changeable ninjarope length. No idea if it is worth to
add that to OLX (in that case make it optional).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:22:06 PM by albert » Logged
Feliz Lombriz
www.GusanosFiles.co.cc Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »

Some more modder's responses to my PM regarding sources for sounds, etc.:

Doom mod:
Listing all the snds and gfx is a bit hard because it was some time ago and I didn't record the sources...

Well... the sounds of the mod doom and the mods after that (projectx) are mostly from the game Doom itself, so...
For the sprites: Mmm, the mod Doom has used only stuff from Doom. And I believe that some weapons are inspired by other mods that were created at that time (UT for example). Project x had used more sources, however I don't know them all.

Good luck Wink
Sindalf

Zimowy mod:
My Mod have sounds from mod projectx by sindalf and from oblivion so i dont help you:P

Military mod:
My military mod is incompatible, sorry. (I think the sounds are from Call of Duty)

Good luck with the project!

WH40K/Wingmod/Gusanos 3 Arena mods:
...You can assume that 95% of SFX I've used and at least some of map graphics are non-free - mostly from starcraft, netstorm and Gusanos mods.

Wingmod is entirely based on sounds from descent (and some of its graphics and even names). Just like gusanos 3 arena, it would be rather impossible to port with some other sounds.

wh40k was a fun mod but there are better ones out there.

...So there'll be a lot of work to do. Tongue Jerac brings up a good point:
Actually, it might be better to port these few truly popular mods - mine were not really good or popular, and they're massive, so it would mean really lot of work to replace everything which is not free. Get the project working with most important stuff first, then worry about other Smiley [i.e. Doom and Promode]

And finally [the Promode mod]- if wesz isn't going to do anything with it then just use liero promode sounds.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:41:41 AM by Feliz Lombriz » Logged

ˇHappy Worm!
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2009, 04:23:41 AM »

Thanks for all the information. Seems there isn't really any mod at all which doesn't violate any copyright. Tongue

I plan to have the default mod, Doom mod and Promode mod to be distributed with OLX (I think that are the 3 most popular/complete/favourited mods, aren't they?). It would be nice to get some help in searching some good replacements for the problematic media in there. Perhaps somebody can take over this task? Media with unknown source are not important that much right now. More important are the obvious copyright violations.

To the status of the merge: I need some help of people who have played Gusanos before. I have no idea how the mods/games should behave like. Also I am not sure if they are all loaded correctly.

It would be nice if somebody could check some of the mods, if they load up correctly and what works / doesn't work.

In case of promode, I am not really able to spawn into the game. It says I should press F4 but of course Gusanos wouldn't be noticed if I press that button because it is not really Gusanos related. I also don't really found the place in the Lua scripts where it checks for such a keypress event.
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2009, 07:04:34 AM »

I have seen water in some Youtube videos. Does that work with all mods? What is a good level to test that?
Protoss Archon(GD)
Creator of Telek

Yeah, I'm back.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

I plan to have the default mod, Doom mod and Promode mod to be distributed with OLX (I think that are the 3 most popular/complete/favourited mods, aren't they?)
Don't forget Blasted, it was made of win.

To the status of the merge: I need some help of people who have played Gusanos before. I have no idea how the mods/games should behave like. Also I am not sure if they are all loaded correctly.
What mod?

It would be nice if somebody could check some of the mods, if they load up correctly and what works / doesn't work.
I tried the 0.58 B 9 and all it was, was Liero X, no gusanos. (Or am I missing out something)

I have seen water in some Youtube videos. Does that work with all mods? What is a good level to test that?
Water in this version of gusanos. It's removed in 0.9c because of sync problems (You probably already know). Waters in version 0.9c are either made from object effects or LUA, maps(I call levels maps) may have the code of the water which may work in all mods. (Only that the weapons don't have resistance when traveling through) One of which maps that uses water (which you may have saw on Youtube) is called 'Water', simply a poo map with water at the bottom floor. I have tried this map on various mods without problems.

melons
Netsu

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:45 AM »

Jumpy (Ultimate Deutsche Dieselpunk Mayhem)

Sounds as mentioned in the readme file:
-findsounds.com
-flashkit.com
-Unreal Tournament series
-Quake 3
-Sindalfs' mods

So I Think they should be almost entirely scratched.

Graphics:
all mine and tymko's (mentioned in the mod authors), except for the flying tank photo visible in the console, which I think is not a big deal. I dunno where the photo is from, probably from WWII Tongue
Uthar
Perfectionist

Strider I was

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »

Sound for my mods where from free sound sites. Don't have any proof of it but anyway. All none Liero graphics is painted by me.
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 01:24:12 AM »

The network support in Gusanos was reimplemented (actually, I just reimplemented all the ZoidCom interface and didn't really changed the network code in Gusanos) and works now.
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »

Ok, I think I can say that it all has become very playable now. You can play also play LX maps + Gus mods and LX mods + Gus maps just fine. Even most OLX mods (like CTF, Hide&Seek and what not) should work (with any map, not just the promode CTF maps, whereby those will work nicer because of the additional teambase information). Also network was improved a bit more and I fixed some other problems in some other maps. And you can also reselect your weapons now ingame if you want that (nice for trying out a new mod), that works with all Gusanos mods I have tried so far (it just calls the player init function again).

There are some minor problems. For example, when you join ingame to a promode-game, you doesn't spawn for some reason (probably not really a problem in OLX but in Promode). In some rare cases (most of them also only in Promode), it crashes when you leave the server or so (Lua assertion failed: lgc.c:397: freeobj: Assertion `0' failed., no idea about that yet).

It would be nice to get also some feedback from you if there are some other / more problems.
Feliz Lombriz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

Awesome! That's great! Here's a small barrage of questions for you:
Can you reconifgure your controls ingame if you're using a Gusanos mod?
And do objects in maps like Base from the Doom mod interact with OLX mods? (Ex. do the oil drums explode? Can you shoot out the lights? I'm assuming the buttons for the doors, lights, etc. work regardless.)
What has been improved about the networking?
Which mods will you be including with the release at this point? Will Promode be included?

Also, when you post the new release it would be great if you could direct anyone looking for more Gusanos mods, maps, etc. to GusanosFiles, since they'd have a hard time finding them anywhere else and may not even know they exist otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:12:27 AM by Feliz Lombriz » Logged

ˇHappy Worm!
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »

Gusanos controls are ignored. The OLX input system is used. And that one can be reconfigured at any time, also ingame.

Right now, OLX projectiles (=particles) are completly independent from Gusanos objects. So you cannot shoot out the lights or do stuff like that (yet). Just didn't had the time to add this code. I guess I just have to apply some damage on all nearby objects when some OLX projectile explodes.

Networking has already worked earlier for the embedded Gusanos engine and I improved it a bit too the earlier stage. That's what I meant here. I am not sure how much you can compare it to Gusanos standalone (and I am also not able to compare because I cannot run Gusanos). It uses the same ZoidCom code, with the difference that I have reimplemented ZoidCom itself with the OLX network reliable-channel engine as a backend. That means probably some overhead. On the other side, what I have heard is that the official ZoidCom implementation had problems with too big packages. Our reliable-channel can handle packages of any size (it just splits them on a lower level).

I plan to include at least Gusanos default mod, Doom and Promode. And I am also thinking about Telek. But I should probably limit myself here because the last OLX release was already about 100MB (without any Gusanos stuff) and I don't want it to be even much bigger than that. Smiley Anyway, I am open for further suggestions here. Also for the levels. I have included all levels of these mods into OLX but none else. (Btw., levels in OLX are seperated from mods. Any levels inside a mod are just ignored, you have to move them to the OLX level directory.)

Some mods which do much hacking about own stuff (like Promode about game modes) need some smaller fixes. All game mode handling (like CTF etc), all game logic handling (like killlimit, timelimit, whatever), all team handling (like is it a teamgame or not, what teams are the worms) is handled by OLX. I already patched Promode a bit to overcome most of these problems, though there still seem some problems left when a player connects via network. The other mods I have tried so far just worked all out-of-the-box.

Btw., we host all levels/mods on LXA in our FileBase system. It would be good to reupload all Gusanos levels/mods there and to keep them up-to-date. That system is also used to automatically download some missing mod/level. It seems that GusanosFiles only links to files but doesn't host them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:40:00 AM by albert » Logged
Feliz Lombriz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »

Btw., we host all levels/mods on LXA in our FileBase system. It would be good to reupload all Gusanos levels/mods there and to keep them up-to-date. That system is also used to automatically download some missing mod/level. It seems that GusanosFiles only links to files but doesn't host them.
GusanosFiles hosts all files via Google Sites' services except when files exceed 20 mb (ex. Promode), in which case they are mirrored on the Windows Live Skydrive.

Uploading them to the filebase sounds like a great idea. Is there a good way to designate which mods/maps are from OLX and which are from Gusanos or are you planning to implement something like that (ex. seprate folders in the Filebase named "Mods - Gusanos" and "Maps - Gusanos" or something similar)?

-Feilz

ˇHappy Worm!
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »

I am not the admin/dev of FileBase/LXA. You should contact DarkCharlie about this. I will ask in our mailinglist (i.e. also DC and other people involved in LXA/FileBase will read it).
albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »

I made a first release. Read here for further information:
http://www.openlierox.net/forum/index.php/topic,12826.0.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: