ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 05:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Registration of new members is disabled. Read the newspost.
8134 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Support
| | |-+  proper source release
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: proper source release  (Read 1985 times)
richlv

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:50 AM »

hi. i wanted to suggest doing a proper source release - that should also inclrease chances to get packed for more linux distributions.

it seems that currently getting gusanos to run on linux is way too cumbersome - main page has download link saying "other platforms", which leads to sf download page, having only one archive available for 0.9c version. i assumed that's source, so i happily downloaded it... only to find out that's windows binary release. bummer.

ok, then i looked at faq and scoured the main page to find any references to source/linux downloads - nothing. finally i found linux installation instructions... that said to checkout from cvs.

that looks like almost an intentional obfuscation (which, i'm sure, it isn't Smiley ) - if i would not have so good memories of the wormz/liero sessions, i would have said "f that" after downloading the windows binary archive as "other platforms".

providing cvs only is a detrimenting factor - first, it's more cumbersome. second, that's not a release - for all i know, cvs version could be broken with new dev work or something.

this is a call to provide proper source package of released version, which should ease getting gusanos massively for potential gamers.
working with distro packagers would also be helpful, but being involved with another oss game project a bit i can't help with that Smiley
thanks.
Feliz Lombriz
www.GusanosFiles.co.cc Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »

Sounds like a great idea to me. I uploaded one Linux package to GusanosFiles a while ago. It doesn't install 100% properly, but apparently it gets further than a few other incomplete packages that have been floating around lately. If you know what you're doing on Linux give it a shot and you just might be able to get it to work. Various people have gotten Gusanos properly compiled for Linux in the past. They really should upload their own working package and share the wealth so everyone can run it. Smiley

Link: Gusanos Linux Pack (Pordesign) (GusanosFiles mirror)

-Feliz

ˇHappy Worm!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: