ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2018, 01:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Visit us on IRC
irc.quakenet.org
#liero
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Liero forum
| |-+  Liero Discussions
| | |-+  Player rating?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Player rating?  (Read 2726 times)
rat

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »

Hi guys! I usually just lurk around, but I got this neat idea and I wanted to share and test.

This is just a formula that I call Liero Performance Ratio, or LPR for short. Around my mates sometimes we can't kill each other to death (huh?), we often have to stop with some lives remaining (class is about to start... or about to end!). So I came up with this:

LPR=( 5*ownLives + 2*(startingLives+rivalKills) -4*rivalLives ) / (7*startingLives)

The main advantage over measuring just Lives, just Kills or both is that this takes suicides into account.

Say we play to 6 lives and have to stop. P1 has 3 lives and 3 kills, and P1 P2 has 3 lives and just 2 kills. We used to grant a win to P1, but this formula would give P1 a ratio of 0.452, and P2 a ratio of 0.500, being higher because P2 did not kill himself as much as P1.

Thus, dumbness is smithen. More so if you just suicide all the way, then you'd even get a negative ratio, but upwards it tops at 1.000 .

And it should measure how well you performed, but I don't know. Would you try it and see if it works? Post results?

Do you have any other way to rank performance?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:43:30 PM by rat » Logged
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »

In your explanation you say P1 two times where I think you meant P2 in the second appearance. It made it a bit confusing.

In my opinion, if a game ends and two players have the same amount of lives left, then its a tie, regardless of how they got killed. The player with most lives left should be the winner.
It doesnt matter if a player suicided or not to me if he got the job done.
rat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »

Yeah, I agree with you, player with most lives is the winner in the formula.

But, amount of lives being equal, the one with the most kills certainly did kill himself at least once, which means the other guy didn't have the chance to kill him. Which might also mean that he was just unloading some big guns and his kills were made by mere chance, not by skill and strategy. Like using bouncy mines with loading time = 1%.

That, and I wanted a number to show how close a match was, and how effective a player is — it goes up when you keep most of your lives and if you lose lives via a kill rather than suicide.

It's being peer reviewed around here to see if it reflects a player's performance. Thanks for your answer, I'll keep it in mind if/when i rewrite it
Greybrow
Liga Liero

In darkness all cats are grey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »

Read here:
http://comser.robal.org/forum/index.php/topic,178.msg1786.html#msg1786

Liero undead
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile