ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2018, 12:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Visit us on IRC
irc.quakenet.org
#liero
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Liero forum
| |-+  Liero Discussions
| | |-+  Running Liero in Windows XP with sound and decent fps!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Running Liero in Windows XP with sound and decent fps!!  (Read 2997 times)
aeron

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »

Hi guys, today I made a great discovery! Well, as you know, Liero doesn't like to be run in XP with sound, and DOSBox seems of little help. Well this is no news to you all.

But while going through games and screwing around with DB, I found, that from within DOSBox, you can install Windows 3.1. Well yes, this is not exactly news either.

But! I decided to try and run some games THROUGH Windows 3.1 THROUGH DOSBox, and well, keep reading Cheesy
Liero runs almost as good as it did on my old 98 box! Well anyone who's tried Liero in DOSBox knows that it FEELS playable until you start chunking the particles around, then the game chokes to a crawl. I don't have an 'official' benchmark to back this up, but it's indeed very playable under the most extraneous conditions (I'm talking 0% loading times throwing clusterbombs).

I don't quite understand why this would make such a huge difference though. I first noticed some improvements whilst playing SkyRoads through Windows 3.1, in XP the music made the slightest skip when I died and the level reset. Never skipped once in 3.1. It might have to do with the fact that I had to install actual audio drivers within the new windows. The fact that the sounds caused the big issues in Liero in XP leads me to believe that it's related.

Anyway what I'm gonna do is try and run some tests, and meanwhile I'll leave you guys some links. (Err, a link.)
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

You'll need your own disks for Win3.1, but I'll leave that up to you. The guide has links to everything else you need. Install Windows and appropriate drivers, put Liero somewhere where DOSBox can read it, then go to file manager and run it.

Peace out, guys, long live liero!
-aeron
TTFTCUTS
Unreal :0
Veteran Member

Mechineer: No arms yet D:

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:33 PM »

Or you could use OpenLiero that Gliptic wrote with the game data and just run it directly in XP.

Look here, dunno how finished it is atm - cba to test it so far Tongue

Boo! Grin
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:47:47 AM »

dunno how finished it is atm - cba to test it so far Tongue

Its pretty damn finished, a few things in the menu differ.
aeron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »

Or you could use OpenLiero that Gliptic wrote with the game data and just run it directly in XP.
Haha well yeah I felt really ridiculous after posting this because I found the openliero project after 2 seconds of looking round these parts of the forums. Embarrassed I even grabbed the source code to toy with. It's really solid, that's for sure. It just needs a little touching up, I'm trying to add a few launch arguments that make it start in fullscreen and doubleres, for instance.

Anyway, I think it's neat that after all these years of "you cant have sound and performance in XP", its nice that there's a workaround, don't you? Even though everyone else is well past that XD At least it can be done.
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »

I would have been quite eager to test this win3.1+dosbox hack if openliero didnt exist Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: