ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 04:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Try Haxball - www.haxball.com
8134 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Modding
| | |-+  [Mod] DarkArts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Mod] DarkArts  (Read 24811 times)
Anarchid
Level 3 Tactical Techno Horror

Resistance is Futile.

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:07:35 AM »

Current version: 0.8+, stripped down to "only" 28 weapons/abilities and seven maps as a sacrifice to working sync.

(some stuff doesnt sync, actually, like where the meat chunks are lobbed when people die - this is the reason Necromancy and Cannibalism have been removed. Some stuff, like where each of the chaingun's bullets will go, is unlikely to ever sync at all)

(also, i've maed some movements on syncing the "object" stuff, but it's about as far from completion as gusanos 1)

Download: here(7.2 MB)

You can also find versions 0.8 and 0.7 on gusanosfiles. Note that 0.8 and 0.8+ won't work together.

----------------------
...Had a few sleepless nights and having basically nothing else to do, made this. So, now it is version 0.2, has 20 "weapons" of which 10 are special abilities, 9 are really weapons, and one is an offencise type ability, one capital bug with "anonymous suicides", three skins two of which are "appropriated" form o and one map. And as much of a plot as any gusanos mod would ever need : "some archaeologists find the gate to the Bad Place and open it, so Bad Things start coming from there killing everything with their Bad Business, marines start killing the things to protect the population, and some really not nice people start fighting both marines and Bad Things to get control of some Bad Artifacts"

Planning is more maps, fixing the bug, more weapons, more abilities, more skins, maybe animation back to them, and of course a readme. Cause so far you have to figure out on your own what does the "dive" control and how to bind it Wink

Any suggestions, ideas and rants about ruthlessly borged artwork are more than welcome.

Screenshot here:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:44:14 AM by Anarchid » Logged
Quendus
Piano-playing geek
#liero regular

The Compleat Strategyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:11:40 AM »

I can't download from rapidshare; could you get setrodox to put it on the depot?
Maybe I'll just ask hiim on IRC...
Also: the screenshot looks reasonably pwny. Smiley

AKA MR NUTTY!!!!!
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:35:30 AM »

Quendus: http://powerhuhn.net/depot/gusanos/mods/dark.rar

Anarchid:
welcome to the forums, the screenshot looks really, nice, i'll test it a bit later Smiley

PINK!
Quendus
Piano-playing geek
#liero regular

The Compleat Strategyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »

I've tested it now, and the game is just as good as the screenshot Grin

AKA MR NUTTY!!!!!
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »

Darka real time strategy? Shocked
Ohhhh.. Dark Arts... oh course

Looks really nice Cheesy
Social Poison
Harmful if swallowed

I've got your f*cking disclaimer right here!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:22:17 PM »

* Social Poison smacks eldacar with a cardboard tube for the bad pun
Mauganra99
Looking for LieroX
Veteran Member

the antisheep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »

Nice, looks good, and some cool weapons/items. The level is funky too! The overal feel is... EVIL! (Which is a good thing)

Skins are very cool... Now they need animation, though Tongue

Also, the skins don't seem to be synchronized over the network, but I'm not sure about that.

"D
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:39:57 AM »

Very very nice mod. It has one of the cutest lasers I have seen, and I love the abilties Smiley
What is the dive command for?

One comment about the map: The area outside the vortex thing is dark in the bitmap instead of being dark in darkmode, that makes the flashlight behave very weird on it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:42:40 AM by basara » Logged
Anarchid

Resistance is Futile.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »

Dive is for levitation, it allows you to accelerate down without turning the ability off, and thus navigate, say, while hunting down some delicious meat with the rifle Smiley

...it works over net at all?? Now this is a surprise for me))
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 03:51:28 PM »

I doubt it syncs.
Jerac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 12:15:56 AM »

Well worm's position is synced automatically, so if something forces client to move, host has to accept that...

It is easy to understand. Let's say player(1) is using a high push weapon on player(2). Both are clients od dedic. Player(1) shoots at player(2), but misses him. However, due to lag, player(2) sees that he is hit. Push works, and the worm is being pushed. But as the bullet didn't hit for the server, player(2) does not lose the health.

BGABTMABNCP!!
Anarchid

Resistance is Futile.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 10:49:03 AM »

Behold! I have revamped DivinePath, added several weapons, skin animation and (borked) one more skin from WH, synced the skins, and tweaked the physics system. Last but not the least, there is now a readme in the archive.  So it is version 0.3 now: do i make another thread, or does this one get renamed? Wink Screens below, download here.
But i still don't get why it tags suicides as anonymous kills. anyone has any insight on this??

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:58:47 AM by Anarchid » Logged
Quendus
Piano-playing geek
#liero regular

The Compleat Strategyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 12:25:27 PM »

Looks nice.
I hope it gets hosted on the depot soon...

AKA MR NUTTY!!!!!
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »

I tried it :0
The periecer is amazing! its just like a weapon I wanted to make some time ago but couldnt be arsed ;O
The rest of the new weapons and improvements are very good too.
Something I didnt like though, is the gravity, its too damn strong now.

The killed by anonimous message happens when you get killed by a particle that has no owner. and this happens if you create it with lua with some function that doesnt need pass an owner ( like part_type put I think ). It is strange that only suicides are like that though Shocked
Anarchid

Resistance is Futile.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »

Now, the lua function that does the damage has the syntax "object:damage(amount, player)", and most times - for the clean kills - that seems to work. And it is exactly this syntax that the shieldedDamage in the mod uses. And searching in the code for "put" yielded no result - i only "shoot" stuff, and that's supposed to inherit the owner from the shooting object... Undecided

Tested the thing over the net(actually just starting a few copies and then connecting to 127.0.0.1) . Turns out, there was quite a few bugs - which are now fixed, so now it officially works online. Maybe, except for teleporter, but then not because of any scyncing trouble, but because of  my Win2k not seeming to like FMOD at all =)

Fixed version (0.31) here. Now, this time i bothered to find a free host other than rapidshare, and there should be no trouble downloading it for anyone.

(i kinda thought that doubling the gravity cold be bad, but then doubling da walking acceleration kinda forced it. I'll try to balance it though))

P.S. And it turned out that bots do not mimic the use of player controls as they did in Wurmz!. Which in turn means no more rope for the artificials.. Or is there a way around this? (And then, giving them zero gravity for free would be evil even for a horror-styled mod Smiley )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:37:23 PM by Anarchid » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: