ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2018, 07:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Try Haxball - www.haxball.com
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Development
| | |-+  New here, suggestions.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New here, suggestions.  (Read 5262 times)
Redshift

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:48:13 PM »

Hello, You may know me from Liero X

As you can imagine, i'm fed up with it.

Gusanos show some serious promise in my opinion however there are a few things lacking. (in no particular order)

1) GUI. In order for this game to be popular you will need a full functioning GUI that can edit all aspects of the user conifg. This should be low priority in my opinion as it is not needed until you start trying to spread the complete game around.

2) Level organization. If we could have three or four categories under the level select (a browser tree) it would be great. Right now you end up searching through hundreds of old liero levels when you want to find one of the new ones, and seperating classic levels and new ones would be ideal.

3) Tech demonstration level. All the current cpabilities of the engine shown of in a series of medium sized rooms clearly labeled and named "Tech Demonstration"
Right now people will not see all the great things Gusanos can do because of afformentioned reason 2, and will be deterred.

4) Weapons. Understandably engine functionality and networking are top priority, but there are a lot of weapons missingthat need to be added before anything else in my opinion. You need a basic grenade and Chiquata bomb like the original Liero. You also need a rifle weapon HOWEVER I STRESS YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT START GETTING "COMBO ABUSED" Winchester, Rifle, and Handgun were my favorite guns in Liero and there's not anything similair other than railgun. Guidable rockets would be really, really cool.

5) Rename the Manipulatior the Gravity Gun or get different sound effects. Seriously. We all know the idea came from Half Life, at least acknowledge it... Seeerrriiiiously.

6) Ingame chat font. It needs to be more readable. Righ now the letter M is literally an H and a lot of letters are that way. If you are going to be sucessful with this you need ingame communiction to be as clear as possible (keep the font on everything else to preserve style though. Names, Menus, Console, etc.)

Jonny
Jonny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:58:51 PM »

1) GUI will of course be improved. The reason there isn't any user settings options in .9c is because you can't modify files from Gusanos yet. (because there is a whole load of security issues that go with it) By Gusanos .9 FINAL there will be a fully functional GUI and hopefully it will be pretty too. Tongue

2) Level organisation is a bit of a mess atm, not a lot of thought has gone into it really. It will probably be improved along with the GUI.

3) There was a techtest level with .9b, however it was removed because basara deemed it too silly. Cheesy There will be mods that will be bundled with later version of Gusanos, which will show of all the nice Gusanos features.

4) The default mod is not a Liero mod. I believe there are some LL people creating Liero mods which will have all the pretty Liero weapons you are used to. (either that or Gliptics liero2gus project will make the Liero mod) What else happens to the default mod is up to basara, tbh.

5) The weapon (or tool) was actually called the zero point energy field manipulator in Half-Life 2, the "Gravity Gun" was just a nick-name. We are just being true to science!

6) The chat font is a problem yes. It needs to take up as little screen space as possible but still needs to be readable, and the 320-240 screen resolution is quite restrictive with that. Basara will have to spam more on what he thinks about this.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 04:01:58 PM by Jonny » Logged
Guthrick von Kewpa
Personal Jesus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:00:34 AM »

4) Some LL people (it is Jerac - GusPro and ChanibaL - G1.33) stopped creating Liero weapons to gus after they found it impossible to sync most of major weapons over netplay long time ago though...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:03:41 AM by Guthrick von Kewpa » Logged
Redshift

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »

5) The weapon (or tool) was actually called the zero point energy field manipulator in Half-Life 2, the "Gravity Gun" was just a nick-name. We are just being true to science!

If you ever actually played the game, Alyx says something along these line "You can call it the Zero Point energy Manipulatior, if your a tight-ass. We just call it the GravGun around here. Now go ahead and toos Dog the ball"

Turns out the only person calling it the Zero Point is an evil traitor that upturns the resistance enough to cause mass anarchy.\ I'm just saying it would be nice if you named it the Gravity Gun, considering that IS what Valve named it in the player screen.

---

I'm interested in making levels. I was wondering if ther eis some file I can find that has everything the level system can do recorded conveniently

I want to make a serious, good looking Tech Demo level. I have Paint Shop Pro, and I have made normal LieroX maps before that look good.
grey|shift
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 12:40:39 PM »

There was a "techtest" level that used to come with Gusanos, I'm not sure where it's disappeared to...
basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 02:17:59 PM »

I actually like the name manipulator more and always called the half life thingy manipulator too, so the name will be kept.

The techtest was removed because I couldnt be arsed to update it Tongue ( it was also quite incomplete, the bottom room was empty )
Redshift

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 07:37:47 AM »

So ius there any reliable documentation on using objects in levels? I haven't been able to find any.
Posted on: June 16, 2006, 05:16:34 PM
I was bored, so I made a quick little 10-minute paintshop level.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9779/image55pb.jpg

It's called Blasting Cap. The opriginal idea was that every 10 second anyone in the middle circle would get killed by a big explosion, but I have not tried scripting any objects or anything yet. Other ideas I have for levels-

Meat processing plant with worm-grinding goodness.
Subway level with occasional deadly passes of subway cars
Sky level where you have to spend your entire time up int he air bouncing aound on kick pads. At the bottom would be an object to injure players overlaying a set of the infamouse worm-wedges that players get stuck in if they hit at much speed at all.
Mario level with fire-flowers that occasionally shoot up out of pipes just like on mario. Only this time more bl00d Tongue
Half-Life 2 Overwatch level (tall tower with explosive stuff everywhere)
Space station level where you can leave the space station, but it slowly injures you while outside.

Those are justs ome of the ideas, I know alot are probably impossible, but you never get anywhere without creativity in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 07:41:16 AM by Redshift » Logged
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 03:27:32 PM »

hmm, those ideas all seem possible to me, not even that hard  Wink

PINK!
Redshift

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:19:53 PM »

hmm, those ideas all seem possible to me, not even that hard  Wink

If they are so easy, they should already exist.

Hmph.
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 02:36:41 AM »

i would have done more level stuff, but my major problem are the graphics. though i started to learn pixel art some days ago Smiley

PINK!
sindalf
Veteran Member

Further than beyond...ProjectX

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 08:14:48 AM »

So ius there any reliable documentation on using objects in levels? I haven't been able to find any.
Posted on: June 16, 2006, 05:16:34 PM
I was bored, so I made a quick little 10-minute paintshop level.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9779/image55pb.jpg

It's called Blasting Cap. The opriginal idea was that every 10 second anyone in the middle circle would get killed by a big explosion, but I have not tried scripting any objects or anything yet. Other ideas I have for levels-

Meat processing plant with worm-grinding goodness.
Subway level with occasional deadly passes of subway cars
Sky level where you have to spend your entire time up int he air bouncing aound on kick pads. At the bottom would be an object to injure players overlaying a set of the infamouse worm-wedges that players get stuck in if they hit at much speed at all.
Mario level with fire-flowers that occasionally shoot up out of pipes just like on mario. Only this time more bl00d Tongue
Half-Life 2 Overwatch level (tall tower with explosive stuff everywhere)
Space station level where you can leave the space station, but it slowly injures you while outside.

Those are justs ome of the ideas, I know alot are probably impossible, but you never get anywhere without creativity in my opinion.

Well some of those idea's can be created, like that train, etc. good idea for a doom map
Master Rivu

In my end is my Begining...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »

How about a map where the player(s) start with a AI team(of their own) & another AI team (the foes) and fight it out! [ own team members cannot respawn!]  Cool

Life'sbut a Dream
TechnoMancer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 05:00:19 AM »

I've only just found gusanos and i like liero. I think the only thing stopping someone from doing steerables is that the focus has to be changed to the steerable instead of the worm and the worms movement keys need to be used for the steerable. i think if i get the time and motivation to ill try to make a steerable object using the scripting language. btw has anyone ever seen a liero clone callled lieroAI because you should get weapons ideas from there and there is a small screen in the corner of the hud in that clone that can be used by weapons such as sniper rifle and the suped up ninja-rope power-up that you get in that game. anyway have a look at it here: http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/liero/features.html (this is the features link), http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/liero/index.html (this is the main link).  Huh Huh
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: