ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 02:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Get Liero 1.34b and Liero 1.33 at www.liero.be - the official Liero site
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Modding
| | |-+  [Mod] Biplane Burn Oil
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Mod] Biplane Burn Oil  (Read 73584 times)
problematic

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:09:40 AM »

This is the first release of my total conversion. You will find it somewhat similar to triplane turmoil.

http://users.domaindlx.com/OblMod/biplane1.0.zipp
http://powerhuhn.net/depot/gusanos/mods/biplane1.0.zipp
rename zipp to zip.

extract the zip to your gusanos folder.

default p1 controls:
S - Pull back
W - Push forward
A - Turn left (on ground/stopped only)
D - Turn right (on ground/stopped only)
H - Switch between weapons (single tap)
E - Roll (rolls plane over)
Spacebar - Engine on/off (toggle)

Features: Planes with dynamic weight as fuel burns, selectable payloads/fuels vs topspeed, full plane physics
anti-aircraft guns, runtime dynamic base placement, infantry. you can also refuel/repair at your friendly hangar.

Multiplayer should more or less be fully synchronized. Infantry are a bit tacky on synchronization, but I figured I should save bandwidth for the important stuff.

Included are two maps - runway(flat map) and tri(triplane's forest level)
Development time: 4 days
Still quite a few things that could be improved on, i'm sure i'll get around to it if anyone cares Tongue

bugs: all players should wait for each other entering the game, another words - don't join games in progress or sync will be awful for AA guns.
The placement system looks for a reasonable space to deploy - if it can't find any, gusanos will freeze. Limit your games to the appropriate space on the map, and dont reconnect - it will not remove your old base, it will simply try to make another. I'm sure there are others i've forgotten.

Try not to stall!

edit: oh yeah, and forget the bots, i can't touch em.. I will probably write my own for it at some point given demand.

(edit: added depot link)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:06:10 AM by Wei Zhi Hui » Logged
VoNaR
formaly r3mc0

die-hard liero fan :P

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:32:20 AM »

awsome idea  Wink

it was a little hard in the beginning to get the hang of it,,
but is works great Smiley

haven't had the change to test them with anyone else though Sad

VoNaR = r3mc0
Jonny
Jonny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 06:50:09 AM »

We tried it yesturday and it's very good Cheesy

It's very hard to hit another plane with the MG though, expecially when you are lagging >Tongue. It's also a bit to easy to bomb yourself Cheesy
sindalf
Veteran Member

Further than beyond...ProjectX

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:04:26 AM »

original idea  Smiley , but hard to control the plane.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:27:04 AM by sindalf » Logged
deguix
[sugp] Gusanos player

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »

quite nice TC...

- I looked over your LUA scripts principally for the "player events", which is quite a nice feature. I wanted something like that to go with the Liero missiles to sync in netplay. Problably some other people around here besides me were looking for this too sometime ago.
- function biplane.daveispissed(object,target) Shocked.
- the maps are simple and tri is nice... Gusanos is missing long maps like tri Smiley. Just wondered on playing this in the default mod using the railgun to shoot from one side of the map to another instantly. "Railgun should be banned" Shocked
- OMG, how did you get 774 FPS (see screenshot)? I can't have FPS greater than 250... Cry

problems:

- Screen changes to fullscreen then back to windowed at the start of a game if I have the windowed option in my cfg.
- Even if the airplane is not visible after it returns to the hangar after a crash, it can be damaged... one time, it was difficult to get out of the ground without the help of another player because the enemy bunkers were repeatedly destroying me as they were near the hangar. Sad
- I never played the original game, but I think it should take a little bit of time to flip the plane over.
- I think the plane should level itself correctly when it comes into contact with the ground and the engine is off. I could make the back of the airplane to be in the air with the front on the ground with the engine off and be parked like that.
- It is difficult to know which weapon is selected at one time. I know about the "crosshair" that shows when the MG is selected, but I don't think that's enough.

Hey, if you want a tough challenge and you are crazy, then play this mod on default maps, like poo.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:40:04 PM by deguix » Logged
problematic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 05:33:13 PM »

rolling: yeah.. this is supposed to take time, but i didnt get around it - and i'm not gonna draw the 64+ frames of animation for it lol
774 fps: dunno, gus usually runs like this till something actually happens
fullscreen: this is inside one of the two .cfgs in the mod folder, didnt realise it was there, you can remove it y'know
plane levelling on ground: yeah i should have done this, maybe in next ver
lack of weapon selection feedback: also aware of this, but got lazy, i originally wanted two keys, one for mg, one for bombs, next ver mayb
aa shooting your base: not really sposed to happen, missed an angle check here, kinda forgot about it even though i encountered it myself
better keep those lil men away that deploy them Tongue

mg + lag: untested the hitbox is reasonably small, i dont want to increase the hitbox size for them..
bombs hitting yourself: don't deploy them at funny angles, though i will make the bombs deploy a pixel or two further away

basara
Administrator
Historic Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »

SOPWITH!!!
Amazing mod, the physics are very well done. I will try it over netplay asap!
problematic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 06:29:14 PM »

i'm not really happy with the net sync for planes, it became a hackjob.. as complexity increased, so did the margin for error, originally it was 100%, but it got worse as i added more parameters, as it stands its solid enough to not worry about atleast.

edit: btw doesn't gusanos have a minimap - it's really needed here, if it does, how can i enable it, and if it doesnt, i will probably have to make crappy pointers to other planes
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:34:46 PM by problematic » Logged
grey|shift
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:08:04 PM »

Can we get a rehost on this? The link is geb0rk.
Triplane Turmoil is one of my favorite games, heh. :>
problematic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 12:55:38 AM »

well.. it'll come back, its a really crap host. certainly not something i'd pay for.
Mauganra99
Looking for LieroX
Veteran Member

the antisheep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 02:04:15 AM »

Superfunk! Woot!

It's really fun to fly around, bombing soldiers and bases, dogfighting others and stuff.

Radar isn't really needed that badly, but it's obviously possible to write one in LUA. It could even have that oldschool sweeping green line thing!

Maybe add some other weapons, like missiles, cluster bombs and nukes? And maybe make the explosions somewhat more sexy?

The fullscreen and back thing isn't in the configs for biplane, but in the standard user.cfg. Changing the biplane config.cfg to run userx.cfg instead of user.cfg will do the trick.

"D
problematic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 03:31:52 AM »

dont have config running userx .. or else you wont be selecting weapons..
Jerac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 05:08:29 AM »

Nooo that is too much for me. Too hard ^^

BGABTMABNCP!!
Qualitiam
#liero regular

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 06:50:27 AM »

I must agree it is quite woot inderdaad.

Some things you might want to fix/add:
  • MG is useless. It has low damage and it's hard to hit, even without lag, and it's much easier to kill somebody with bombs
  • Sometimes AAs appear too close to other players' bases, spawnkilling them constantly until they manage to kamikaze, blowing up the AA
  • First time I played tri map I was unable to take off: I had a cliff to one side, and to the other I kept crashing against some pointy rocks, for my plane was unable to accelerate enough to get past them
  • EYECANDY. I don't know if you were aiming for a 'old-school' style, but this mod could really use some sparkling, bright, beatiful alpha fading explosions and bullet trails
  • Different AA types perhaps? Flak?
  • Different infantry types
  • Bullet 'whoosh' sounds maybe
  • Darkmode support... flying over a city or something at night while the AAs bullets 'whoosh' near you would be leet. This also requires eyecandy.
problematic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 08:50:53 AM »

blasphemy.

1.no rookie is gonna hit me with bombs! the MG is not useless in my hands, even if bomb spamming seems effective. I may incr it by 20%.
as it stands, ten bullets should destroy a full health plane. how many should it take? 4? .. because anyone practiced will floor you. if you stall, one mg burst will end it. this is not the spirit of fun dogfights Tongue - bombs will be limited in the next version.
you're supposed to have fun dogfighting, and not kill each other instantly. bombs are quite predictable, and i'm only usually killed by luck, or flying into them blindly not paying enough attention.
2.aa issue already noted, but they don't just appear, infantry create them, thus the importance of killing infantry for your own sake. - and if they do, it's because there is an issue with sync, and i'm not sending every infantrymans data, i'm sure i'm already pushing the limit Tongue can't seem to get them to sync.
3.try moving to one edge of the runway first - i had no trouble clearing that area.. but i didn't design the map, so don't blame me XD
4.i'm not much of an artist. I kept the bling to a minimum, i'm sure i could have slogged away for ages improving things, but i chose to keep things old school so it didn't tie up too much time or effort.
5.you don't really want aa that godlike, i'm sure i could add many structures. another question of time vs only twenty people will ever play this mod given the forums population Tongue
6.yeah, maybe after i replace the default worm sprite.. maybe after i learn how to draw.. maybe after someone draws these things for me XD
8.i was too lazy to do this.. maybe next version.

edit: 5.05am is a bad hour.
the mod is quite open, so feel free to add additional things to it, it's not too hard, the .lua is very messy though, i didnt make it for presentations.
though i made it as it is because sopwith/triplane is fun to play with my friends, which is why i didnt go overboard with features.. and its just the first release Tongue
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:08:33 AM by problematic » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: