ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 12:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Get Liero 1.34b and Liero 1.33 at www.liero.be - the official Liero site
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  Gusanos Forum
| |-+  Gusanos Modding
| | |-+  [Mod] PLASMA BALL!@#$ ver0.12alpha
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Mod] PLASMA BALL!@#$ ver0.12alpha  (Read 13773 times)
SpaceBoy2000

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 04:32:34 PM »

Or...you could have one guy use a lance, and have a few other guys "feed" the containment field so that it continously overloads, spewing out repeating mini lances of plasma!

After playing for a long while, here's a few observations:

- The plasma doesn't burn through dirt fast enough!
- Close combat is a bitch. The containment field starts off so far away that at cloce combat range, it's most luck. Or, someone else will come along and spray both of the worms with a full blast of plasma
- Mr. Rope is not your friend when you're holding a containment field full of plasma.

A few suggestions:
- Perhaps something like a plasma blowtorch/flamethrower would be nice.
- Some recoil when releasing the plasma would make things a tad more...interesting.
bananaboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 01:07:13 AM »

Some very valid points there. I'll look into it for the next release. (probably in the next couple of days).

About Gameplay
The way I play it, I usually end up dumping plasma and throwing chaff so I can get my distance and recover my aim, but yes, indeed close combat is rather messy. I'll clean that up. I was also considering alternatives to the rope...a jetpack, like in Warhammer? Or force jump, as in Lightsaber Arena? =p Suggestions welcome here. The rope works fine for now, tho.

About Weapons
I am planning for a repeater as suggested for the next release, but I'm having trouble balancing it, for fear of it making the ChargeCannon obsolete, and the last thing I want is for obsolete weapons to be lying around =p As for hoses and blow torches, yea good idea, especially if we add an "objectives" mode. I'll look into it =p Perhaps this might call for a fourth kind of plasma, specifically for area denial? (eg. Long burn time, low per second damage)

Recoil is a definite in the next version. Thanks Spaceboy.

About Technical Issues
The desyncing APS Unit has been fixed in a small release. I didn't want to churn out a full package because I didn't really make anything playable between the release and the bugfix (see the first post), so it doesnt make sense to get everyone to download 500KB when 2KB will suffice =p

Also, if you find PlasmaBall lagging when grenades detonate and all, do this:
http://gusanos.sourceforge.net/docs/doku.php?id=main:general_docs:faq:performance:soundwin
Its been proven to help.

About You Fellas
I must say, the recent comments on this thread have been very encouraging. Thank you all for your support, comments, and suggestions, and a special thanks to Setrodox and his depot for hosting. Every suggestion given is being taken into account for the next release. In the meanwhile, I hope you all have a great time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:09:03 AM by bananaboy » Logged
SpaceBoy2000

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »

Personally, I prefer the ninja rope to anything else. Maybe a few minor tweaks of the rope so you don't kill yourself as much. Heck, it's not too bad currently, and I've gotten used to kamikazing myself with the rope when I've got low health anyways.

As for balancing the repeater, I don't think it will make the charge cannon obsolete. For one, I assume that the repeater would shoot blue plasma. This will mean that while the charge cannon will hit the other guy, and yield a near instant kill if you get a solid hit, the repeater has to hit that other guy for a bit, AND can be easily captured by any other worm with a containment field. That said, the repeater has it's uses. like hosing down a large chunk of ground, feeding a teammate's containment field, etc. That said, a chaff 'nade will render the weapon useless...
bananaboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 05:17:21 AM »

The main balancing factor of the ChargeCannon, is that because it uses green plasma, its useful range is quite limited, because green plasma decays very rapidly.

A repeater with blue or red plasma, would make the PlasmaLance, or the Soliton Projector (MSP) obsolete because it would end up to be a highly accurate long range fast ROF weapon...and I can't afford to make it spread widely, because of netplay desync issues.

I'm (instead of a repeater) also experimenting with a smaller faster reloading version of the Charge Cannon...but I feel as though I'm adding too much.

Right now, instead of more plasma casters, I'm planning for more plasma manipulating weapons. 6 "guns" and 2 grenades i think are more than enough, and therefore I'm dreaming up more equipment like the Shield (who for those who have not noticed, can be coupled up with the ChargeCannon to form a sort of shotgun) or the chaff grenade (which can be used in offence as well as defence); devices that don't throw plasma...but manipulate it. Got two more shiny pieces brewing but I'm not going to spoil by spilling =p So you'll just have to wait.

My design doctrine is less is more...perfection is not when there isn't anything left to add...its when there's nothing left to take out...

We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:06:09 AM by bananaboy » Logged
SpaceBoy2000

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 02:16:46 PM »

Well, how about something like shoot two blue particles at the same rate as the reload for a MPIx? It would be a stream, but could be easily manipulated. Or, have the stream be green plasma, and have the particles come out slower. That should nerf the gun to the point where it's not rigged.
HillbillySkeleton

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 12:43:58 AM »

Any chance of an update?  Grin

Edit:

COMBO BALL!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 04:12:05 PM by HillbillySkeleton » Logged
ninjaspud

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »

is this still a work in progress or is it abandoned?
Protoss Archon(GD)
Creator of Telek

Yeah, I'm back.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »

I don't know, this mod has been inactive for 4 years, and counting. As far as I'm concerned, the author hasn't logged on since. I can bluntly put it like this: Abandoned.
Nevertheless, this project in my perception is pretty much complete other than supposed up coming features such as Pac-man plasma ball or something, at least what I heard.

melons
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: