ComSer Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 06:37:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Get Liero 1.34b and Liero 1.33 at www.liero.be - the official Liero site
8133 Posts in 708 Topics by 253 Members
Latest Member: Maxigenzztop
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  ComSer Forum
|-+  ComSer General
| |-+  ComSer General
| | |-+  The New ComSer
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New ComSer  (Read 5872 times)
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 06:00:45 AM »

If you use ComSer in your website, please post what template number you use. This is so I can try and keep it as compatible as possible when rewriting it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:50:55 AM by eldacar » Logged
Dflies
you win nothing >:D

Oh bravo, what do i win?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:09:24 PM »

I use 59.

Meh..
Podex
Koen Verweij
Veteran Member

ÜberLlama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »

Liero HellHole uses 49. D11 used 2 but I think that was an older version of ComSer.

D11 F2
Wei Zhi Hui
aka. ulv
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 07:02:55 AM »

I use 11 in my black sidebar, and ComSer site uses 60, afaik.

ComSer Admin
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 05:04:05 AM »

As I was discussing with Wei, it seems likely that ComSer will be moved to liero.be. If this is the case, everyone will have to change their links, and there is no point in updating while remaining 100% compatible. So instead, I think we should look at completely changing it. Everyone is welcome to suggest anything now, and if there's any merit in it at all, it's quite likely it can happen.

What the new ComSer will still be:
-The same reliable source of news relating to anything Liero
-Free to use anywhere, anytime by anyone
-POWER

So far so good. Doesn't sound different to what it is now.
It's time for a change in philosophy though.
When ComSer was originally conceived, good servers were hard to find, and if you did, they were probably too expensive for early teenage guys. The easiest and most reliable way to get ComSer out there was through JS remote scripting. However now, when you can get for free, or dirt cheap, good reliable servers with PHP, Python, RoR or even Perl (Shocked), there is no reason for this somewhat archaic form of syndication. Yes you could read the comser JS code and parse it into PHP/Python objects and then output it how you like, but for most people that's too much effort.

What the new ComSer will now have:
-xml (maybe rss) feeds
-a possibly huge number of them, completely customisable
-for the tiny minority of people with no server-side scripting, ComSer will still produce a JS remote script for you to use. This will be in the form of a JS nodal object system
-no display at all. ComSer will provide only data. Display will have to be done either on your server (if you use the feeds) or clientside with the JS.
-a category in the LFDS for display code. For example, I plan to provide basic simple JS and PHP (as those are the only languages I know) templates. With the LFDS people will be able to upload and download other templates and parsing codes for what ever languages they choose. Maybe even GBrowser.

Discuss Smiley
Social Poison
Harmful if swallowed

I've got your f*cking disclaimer right here!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:19:37 AM »

I would REALLY like a Comser RSS feed.
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 05:21:51 AM »

I think there actually already is, but I can't remember the url. there was something in the sources that made one..
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:11:39 AM »

sounds good to me. what really would be cool would be one identy for all sites. i mean that CSF, Fds and so on should have one look(jonny, much work for you  Grin ), and some kind of site network.

i don't like the no display at all thing. i think the main comser page should be hub to all pages(right now i'm using comser as my starting page because i can see the newest poll there and have links to csf and the wiki). maybe i misunderstood that part.

PINK!
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »

The ComSer site will of course be visible, as will the forum and LFDS services. But the feeds won't. The stuff you import into your own site won't display anything.
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 11:38:24 PM »

ah, ok, that sounds good then, maybe the data could be available as a xml-rpc service?

PINK!
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 02:20:01 AM »

* eldacar looks up xml-rpc

I don't think so, it's rather complex for what is needed. I was thinking something like this, where http get requests specify what to send as an xml response:
http://liero.be/comser/index.php?poll;lnews;gusnews;lxnews;hmstats;randomwiki
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 05:00:40 AM »

i thought of xml-rpc because it's very very easy to use with a xml-rpc lib. there are librariers for nearly any language that make xml-rpc easy. for example php has it even bundled since version 4.1.0.

PINK!
Wei Zhi Hui
aka. ulv
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 02:09:28 PM »

Mind you, we should also offer the usual comser templates for people who are not able to customize their comsers in a pro way. Maybe make it ComSer Classic and ComSer Pro. Pro is for advanced users, Classic is about as easy as it is now. I dont want to exclude anyone from the ComSer feeds. If they want it, they shall have it.
However, i think it should be important to emphazise that the feeds come from ComSer. This should not be lost.

+ i luv eldacar a lot for making some effort on making ComSer even greater! Awards await, if not from me, then in heaven.

ComSer Admin
eldacar
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »

There will certainly still be a comser classic that is easy to set up.
I haven't completely decided about the non-display policy. I would prefer that we have simple comser.js and comser.css files in the LFDS that people download and upload to their site, but if people really want only a single file we could probably have that too.
We will definately provide templates that require no modifications. The question is, do we include that as part of the JS feed, or do we have them in the LFDS for everyone to access and upload their own.
setrodox
I am NOT pink!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 08:05:58 PM »

just as a OT note: lfds won't be ready when new comser launches.

PINK!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: